Your SEO optimized title

Ivory coast Ex-President on Trial for Crimes Against Humanity at ICC

0


The trial of Ivory Coast ex-President Laurent Gbagbo for crimes against humanity has begun at the International Criminal Court (ICC). He faces charges relating to the country’s civil conflict that erupted after he lost elections in 2010.

Mr Gbagbo becomes the first former head of state to stand trial at the court in The Hague. Both Mr Gbagbo, 70, and his co-accused, former militia leader Charles Ble Goude, 44, say they are innocent.

The trial could last three or four years.

As it began, Mr Gbagbo appeared relaxed, smiling and shaking hands with his defence team. One of his advisers, Abdon Bayeto, told the BBC that Mr Gbagbo’s innocence was not in doubt.

He said: “He’s going to plead obviously not guilty… there’s been a parody of justice here. Somebody who has been in prison for five years with no proof.”

A lawyer for Mr Ble Goude, who is accused of organising attacks on opposition supporters, described his client as a “man of peace”.

This may prove to be the most important trial in the ICC’s history. The international court was established to end impunity and bring the most powerful leaders to justice. The first trial of a former head of state is testament to the prosecutor’s reach. And yet, despite casualties on both sides, not one of President Alassane Ouattara’s supporters has been charged, leading to accusations of victor’s justice.

During the pre-trial press briefing the victims’ representative was asked how she could represent the victims when only half of those who suffered would have their voices heard.

This high-profile trial will test the ability of the ICC to obtain reliable evidence from a country in which the government has a political interest in securing a guilty verdict.

Can the suspects expect a fair trial if much of the evidence comes from their enemy? Mr Gbagbo sparked a crisis in Ivory Coast after he refused to step down following his loss to Alassane Ouattara in the 2010 presidential vote. There were bloody clashes between rival forces over five months in 2010 and 2011.

Some 3,000 people were killed, with Mr Gbagbo holing up in the presidential palace.

He was arrested in April 2011 by forces loyal to President Ouattara, backed by troops from former colonial power France, and later that year was extradited to The Hague.

It will be the highest-profile trial yet for the ICC, which has only convicted two Congolese warlords since its establishment in 2002. Mr Gbagbo and Mr Ble Goude are accused of four charges – murder, rape, attempted murder and persecution. Hundreds of Gbagbo supporters gathered outside the ICC on Thursday to back the ex-president.

“Our dream to see our president walk free starts today,” said one, Marius Boue. “He is truly a man of the Ivorian people.”

Mr Gbagbo’s supporters accuse the ICC of overlooking alleged crimes by his opponents, many of whom are now in power. But this was rejected by ICC Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, who said investigations into the pro-Ouattara camp had been “intensified”.

Share.

Leave A Reply